Monday 27 July 2009

Morning to you all...

Hope you are all enjoying your day thus so far. Very strangely, I fell asleep rather early at half 11 only to awake 4 hours later (it is now half 5 in the morning) finally in the mood to write after a day of avoiding such a task and it seems I do far better when the lady is fast asleep... yet I did at least venture to the library whilst basking in the sun that I hope shall be repeated today. In the process, I found several books of such magnificence that even I wished to read them (I have a grand total of 6 or 7 other books, shameful);

Firstly John Everett Milliais' Beyond The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. It offers such insight and collective understanding, as far as I have read, into the mind of Milliais who some say turned his back on the Brotherhood in pursuit of fame and the security money offers. Incredibly, despite his wonderful talents, many critics such as Marion Henry Spielmann suggest that without his associates- the intellect of Holman Hunt and Dante Rossetti's 'perfervid' imagination- he faded into obscurity on the other hand as I agree with, he matured and sought pastures new. Either way, his legacy seems oddly in balanced and this is a reminder to all of the harsh realities of life, even for the hugely gifted.

Robert F. Drake's Understanding Disability Policies similarly also Gillian Dalley's Disability and Social Policy both extremely useful in gathering such vital information on past judgements whereby I hope to seize upon past legislation to enforce our campaign. As well as many short story collections in particular one book edited by Nicholas Royle (the judge of the short story competition, to get into his frame of mind). It is odd, to say the least as I commented on Cynical Ben's blog who is also entering, that it is a fine mix of judging talents that we must impress.

The finest of all, Milton & English Art written by Maria R Pointon which recognizes how much impact Milton's poetry had on artists in particular the Royal Academy which of course... my new idols, the Pre Raphealite Brotherhood attended only to rebel against. Its another illusive moment in life where two matters of interest seem to be linked in a wayward manner leading to a great buoyant feeling after discovering the vitality of certain books when you were actually looking for another thus saving time. However all these books combined will assist in my short story writing (the deadline for 'Vendetta of Silence' is a mere 9 days away now), Classics understanding (we shall study Milton's Paradise Lost next year which is prominent in the book) as well as my disability rights campaign I must construct within a week all linked by a festering appreciation of the Brotherhood.

Ironically, the nearby Birmingham Museum have just launched a fantastic online resource site that I found from another blog:

http://www.preraphaelites.org/

I noticed that Sandy, has commented on my blog a few times and must suggest you visit his excellent blog and his mysterious intelligence is rather inspiring. As Holman Hunt said of Millais, 'the need of groping after systems by philosophic research and deductions as superseded.... by a quick instinct which enabled him to pounce as an eagle upon the prize he searched for.'

http://ntrg.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Sandy said...

My my, your kind of reading is many levels apart(perhaps above?) from mine. I enjoy reading your posts and not understanding most of it. You inspire me though. I am going to check out some of those reads that you mentioned here in hopes that perhaps someday I might be able to make sense of your posts.

Also, thank you so much for recommending my blog to everyone. I am honored that you consider me worthy of mention.

Thanks again,
Keep posting.
Cheers!

The Plashing Vole said...

Good choices - much better than 'Desperate Romantics'. Birmingham art gallery has an excellent selection of pre-Raphaelites and their immediate successors.