Saturday 3 October 2009

100th Post in the 9th Month of Tales of Isolation...

I trust you are all well, it's been a marvellous 9 months of which it is the same anniversary of the lady and I tomorrow. So much has happened within that time, I've learnt a terrible amount from wondrous literature, arts and to my own characteristics whilst dealing with the considerable workload of University life. I’ve been notified I'm the main candidate to become Crywolf’s new editor of which I feel would be of excellent benefit to my BA Hons English & Deaf Studies degree. As many of you know, I’ve had experience of writing for the British Deaf Magazine and the Hearing Times however my focus turned to my studies, mentoring of the Deaf and newly acquired position as ‘Academic Coach’ for the Black County. I hope to still find time to continue charity work for ‘Skill’ and leading a campaign for more disabled student rights hence this editing position would allow me to spread awareness of the cause as well as providing a high quality, versatile and attractive publication.

In the process I will attempt to encourage others to send in their writings for print as well as any musical, dancing, filming, sporting e.t.c interests of theirs. As the University faces turbulent times with re-payments to the Government totalling millions, many have lost their job and classes have become more claustrophobic with all the increasing numbers of students cramped within it'll be an ideal time to make a difference.

An amusing tale, my mother visited a ghost whisperer last week (they are all over in Yorkshire, the hippy weed addicts) and surprisingly the woman was deadly accurate about the death of a family friend, close relative and about my siblings. Yet when the matter came to I, the son who nearly died at birth and contracted so many illnesses, I assumed she'd say I had a matter of years to live. Instead, I'm to father twin daughters of blondish hair and work within a policing capacity rather than using my degree to be a teacher of the deaf as I plan to. We shall have to see on that matter but I'm less than ill-inhabited by the daughters, I'd love for this to be of occurrence so I joked with my hallsmate that it shall be hers, as she is has the exact the same hair the woman described also she adores twins (I had to put up with a BBC documentary on them interfering with my football viewing with the associates).

Now, upon reading Henry V, King Lear, Much Ado and the once again Paradise Lost I've also acquired more Philip Pullman books, Jane Eyre and many other pieces about John Milton and William Shakespeare but in particular a keen read at the moment: a play by Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, known as Molière which can be seen in my link below which has provided some great primary inspiration for my own writing.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bCsp7NrK83kC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false

An interest in French plays seized from the French connection within Shakespeare's work that I have learnt to be of high importance. It cannot be understated of the inspiration of Ariosto's Orlando Furioso (1516, translated into English by Sir John Harington in 1591) and Matteo Bandello's Novelle (1544) into Shakespeare's own variation on an age-old theme of infidelity as in Much Ado (another play of interest for my current module.)

However another connection in my eyes stems from the rivalry of France and Britain that appears rivetingly in Henry V as Shakespeare attempted to move on from 'civil broils' of Richard II and it mirrors the intensity of the Irish campaign invoked at the time of writing so a true composition of patriotic sentiment. So for the second time of reading, I realised it is not just about the usurper Henry Bolingbroke handing power that he brutally snatched from Richard II to his son, Henry V whom soon came to the assumption that his father had intervened in divine right also that the prologue created a sense of naturalistic charm and imagery rather than overbearing typicality (like the play I watched on Friday evening).

Anthony Holden writes of another rivalry; that of Ben Jonson and Shakespeare himself, friends at one time who quickly became foes working against one another. Also he wrote the finest line I have ever read in a book on Shakespeare when referring to As You Like It.

'Shakespeare openly acknowledges his relish in this new, more complex vein of humour by having Jacques describe Touchstone as 'a material fool'- a fool as full of wise saws and modern instances as the melancholy misanthrope himself, whose very name was a pun on the Jonsonian humour he embodied: Ajax, a curmudgeon infused with too much black bile'.

Brilliance. On that note goodnight, hopefully you have enjoyed my blog over the past months and if so, comment if you will.

No comments: