Sunday 8 February 2009

The End, The Afterlife and The Consquences.

It was 5am, after four hours of familiar ringing sensations in the ears desperately unable to sleep conflicting thoughts raged in my mind. One example being, death and how would not only I personally die but those around me. It has always troubled me from a young age, as others smiled and daydreamed in Biology class I was sat in deep thought even imagining a terrible explosion at the school I ventured to.

We can hope for the best but we truely do not know as the news that a heatwave has caused havoc to southern Australia as temperatures hit 45C with already 86 people tragically coming to their end. To burn to death or to see a family member die in front of your very eyes is heartbreaking even to someone of lesser feeling such as myself.

Even more soul touching is how they will cope in the ever questionable afterlife and how can someone so young perish and for what reason is another question when I see such tragedy. Is there a overlapping reason, surely we are more substantial then mere figureines in God's strange and complex universe. Whether to believe the facts and traditions of religion is another story...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article5686219.ece

As I sat in a lecture on Thursday on Medieval Literature, our lecturer discussing various poems from the times of innocence where to die in battle was seen as an honour, it invoked personal thinking. For all of my life I thought that, to die a heoric figure of admiration and to be spoke of decades after my departure is the only way to go.

Many pieces of literature spoke of this valant pride of the men that lived in these times. One quote from Beowolf to the Seafarer in the 8th to 11th Century, it all added to the intensity of the thoughts from the days where they believed only the honourable, not the earthly wealthly reached the pearly gates of Heaven. As much as I'd like to believe this, if God was such a outstanding gentleman with the craft to create all we forsee surely He would not think in this manner.

'from those everlasting joys, the daring shall not die'

No comments: